Saturday, May 10, 2008

What I'm Reading Now


I thought I would periodically try to update the blog with what I am reading at the time. Presently I am reading A History of the Hebrew Language by Angel Saenz-Badillos and translated by John Elwolde. This book includes chapters such as:

1. Hebrew in the Context of Semitic Languages
2. Hebrew, a Northwest Semitic Language
3. Pre-exilic Hebrew
4. Biblical Hebrew in its various traditions
5. Hebrew in the period of the Second Temple
6. Rabbinic Hebrew
7. Mediaeval Hebrew
8. Modern Hebrew

At this point I am only on chapter 2 but I can already comment that I would not recommend this book to anyone who has not had any background in Biblical Hebrew. However if you have studied Hebrew and/or other Semitic languages you may find this book informative and enjoyable. So far I have enjoyed it...but I will try to comment further when I finish.
Tony

No comments: